Will robots take all our jobs? Not even the most fervent prophets of digitalization would claim that. What they do say, though, is that to thrive in the future economy, we’ll have to focus on the strengths that separate us from our ever-smarter digital colleagues. Over the last year, those uniquely human “soft skills” were the subject of many business books. You’ll find the most interesting among them on our shortlist – along with other highlights from the year.
getAbstract is proud to present the getAbstract International Book Award to the best business books of 2016. This year, getAbstract assessed more than 10,000 English and German business books in the fields of leadership and management, strategy, sales and marketing, human resources, economics and politics, finance, and career development. We have selected 10 finalists.
The 2016 nominees are:
- Humans Are Underrated, Geoff Colvin, Portfolio, PRH/Nicholas Brealey Publishing
- Invisible Influence, Jonah Berger, Simon & Schuster
- Simple Sabotage, Robert M. Galford/ Bob Frisch/ Cary Greene, HarperOne/HarperCollins Publishers
- Splinternet, Scott Malcomson, OR Books
- Vaporized, Robert Tercek, Life Tree Media
- Cyberpsychologie, Catarina Katzer, dtv Verlagsgesellschaft
- Der fremde Erfolgsfaktor, Jamal Qaiser, Wiley-VCH
- Der Vorstand und sein Risikomanager, Werner Gleissner, UVK Verlagsgesellschaft
- Die digitale Mobilitätsrevolution, Weert Canzler / Andreas Knie, oekom Verlag
- Wer regiert das Geld?, Paul Schreyer, Westend Verlag
Two nominated titles from each language category will receive the getAbstract International Book Award, a coveted prize within the international publishing world. The official award ceremony will take place on October 19, 2016, from 16:00 to 17:00, at the Frankfurt Book Fair’s “Lesezelt” in Frankfurt/Main.
This year, the award celebrates its 16th anniversary. When the getAbstract International Book Award launched in 2001, it was the first international prize of its kind to honor outstanding works in the field of business literature. Since then, getAbstract has presented the accolade to such esteemed authors as George A. Akerlof, Robert J. Shiller, Nassim Nicholas Taleb, Ian Morris, Benoît Mandelbrot, Malcolm Gladwell, Niall Ferguson, Joseph Stiglitz, Thomas Sowell, Chris Anderson, Peter Sloterdijk, Gunter Dueck, Uwe Jean Heuser, Wolfgang Münchau and Hans-Werner Sinn.
For more details about previous award winners, please go to: http://www.getAbstract.com/Bookaward.